Dec 12, 2012

FISH SAUCE - UMAMI IN A BOTTLE

 A bottle of fish sauce 


I'm very impressed by the taste enhancing properties of fish sauce. Fish sauce is as important in asian cooking as salted anchovies are in italian cooking, and both of them are full of umami from free glutamate.

The bottle you see on the photo is a common brand in Norway and I've also bought the same brand here in Turkey. Fish sauce is a staple condiment in my kitchen. I use it instead of salt and to add saltiness and umami in all my soups like the Tom Yum Gai, a tablespoon or two pr.litre/2 quarts in any soupstock is a magic twist.

Fish sauce is produced in several Asian countries and has about the same amount of free glutamate as the even more famous soy sauce. 900mg/100g, and  approx. 25% salt.

PRODUCTION OF FISH SAUCE
Fish sauce is made from fish i.e anchovies or sardines. The fresh fish is added salt that allows fermentation up to one year for high quality fish sauce. Enzymes in the fish as well as the salt break down the long protein chains into amino acids, where free glutamic acid is the main substance to create the savoury umami taste.  When the fermentation is done, the liquid is strained and has a transparent brownish red colour.  When you buy fish sauce, find a brand which is "naturally brewed" without any added taste enhancers.


SEVERAL WAYS TO USE FISH SAUCE
Here's one tip from Michael Rulhman,  in cookingbook "Ruhlmans TWENTY". There he shares a magic twist with 1tbs fish sauce added to the bechamel for macaroni & cheese. I tried this recipe and loved the taste, but macaroni & cheese has so much carbohydrates, I feel like gaining two pounds just by writing this down.    


I would  like to share more ideas and uses of fish sauce in western dishes with my blog readers. Do you have a creative way of using fish sauce in a dish? I can't wait to learn about that.









No comments:

Post a Comment